Thursday, August 13, 2009

Appreciating Calvin

I thought I'd jump on the 'Calvin's 500th Birthday bandwagon' and I've enrolled in an MA (theology) and signed up to do an subject on Calvin this term (at Moore College). It's going to be great to get back into some formal study after 7 years but, like when you haven't excercised for a while, I think it will involve some significant pain.

It was a bit of a shock to see that the whole of Calvin's Institutes was included as part of the required course reading (might have been wise to check that before signing up) - we got three years to get through it when I was doing a BTh. Anyway, Simone's advice was 'blog your way through it' so stay tuned for possible updates.

1 comment:

  1. Cool! On Monday night I had the opportunity to go to an informal meet and greet with Elsie McKee, a Calvin scholar at Princeton. It was quite inspiring and I thought to myself, I really should read Calvin's Institutes cover-to-cover! So maybe I'll join you. Mind you, one of the things Granddad said to me several times before he died was that he wished he'd taken a lot less notice of the first two sections oc Calvin's Institutes and just concentrated on the final section. But I think perhaps you earn that right by spending as much time as he did thinking through the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete